Built in 1864, of timber from McLeod’s mill, on land donated by Ngāti Whātua chief Te Otene Kikokiko. The Courthouse was the first built in New Zealand specifically as a Native Land Court. It was presided over by Judge John Rogan and sited on the banks of the Kaipara River at the southern end of Commercial Road.
Come in and learn of the devastating impacts the Native Land Courts had on Māori economically and socially. Māori knew the court as Te Kōti Tango Whenua (the land-taking court). There were many laws designed to take Māori land. This is a story that we should all listen to.
The courtroom is effectively furnished as it was when last used in 1979. The front has a room set up as a Post Office that tells the story of the district’s telegraphic communications. Also on view is the history of theatre and cinema in the nook. The judge’s chambers are being set up as a research facility.
Currently on display in the Courthouse’s Nook is the story of Helensville’s theatres and cinemas. From silent movies, to the now silent cinema.
View the movies of the 1947 VJ Day Parade. Early movies of the Kaipara Cruising Club and the building of Alison McKenzie House – then the clinic of Dr Mackie.