Headmaster’s house

The Helensville School headmaster’s house. Built in 1883 as a residence for the headmaster of Helensville School and his family.  Occupied by Irishman Mr D D Metge, Headmaster, until 1900. He was an impressive man and in many ways beyond his time in educational methods.

Interior alterations to the landmark building were carried out in 1977 to mark the school’s centenary and as a response to the Education Board’s intentions at the time to demolish and replace it. In its latter years it was used as a school hall.

It was gifted to the musuem in 1999.

This building houses a changing array of exhibits.