Helensville Courthouse

Built in 1864, of  timber from McLeod’s mill, on land donated by Ngāti Whātua chief Te Otene Kikokiko. The Courthouse was the first built in New Zealand specifically as a Native Land Court. It was presided over by Judge John Rogan and sited on the banks of the Kaipara River at the southern end of Commercial Road.

The courtroom is effectively furnished as it was when last used in 1979. The front has a room set up as a Post Office that tells the story of the district’s telegraphic communications. Also on view is the van Uden model carriage collection and the judge’s chambers.